The Electra Community Centre is home to Ceres Calisthenics Club, the Waverley Bridge Club, the Monash Croquet Club and the Doberman Dog and Obedience Club, who worked in partnership with Monash Council and the State Government to fund this major capital work.
The first stage of the Electra project was budgeted at $3,665,000 and includes a new community centre, a refurbished sporting pavilion, landscaping and car parking. The State Government contributed $500,000, which was matched by Waverley Bridge Club and Ceres Calisthenics Club contributed $335,000 towards the construction of the new facility. Monash City Council provided $2.33 million in funding. The contribution Ceres made of $335,000 was achieved through fund raising, donations, Buy-a-Brick Campaign and loans from Debenture holders. Over the next 6 years, we are obligated to pay back our loans and Debenture holders.
The 1000 square metre facility was built with an eye towards future sustainability and energy efficiency and is insulated far beyond the minimum requirement of the Building Code of Australia.
The Centre features an energy sustainable facility that harvests rainwater and also has a built-in building management system to control natural airflow, reducing the load on heating and cooling systems. High performance heat insulated coated glass windows have been installed for further energy savings and around 64,000 litres of rainwater collected off the roof will be used to flush toilets.
We have recently been working again with the Monash City Council to extend our facilities to include a third studio and additional storage area. This work was completed in May 2017.
The original Electra Community Centre was designed by Croxon Ramsay Architects in association with the City of Monash Urban Design & Architecture team and was built by HMC Constructions.